Wellington College

Academic Families works with more than 450 schools throughout the UK, and we have become experts at matching children to the right boarding school for them in order to ensure each student thrives.

 

We're delighted to present one of our partner schools:
Wellington College in Berkshire, England.

wellington-college-boarding-school-uk-academic-families-partner-logo

About Wellington College

Mission statement

“We aim to equip pupils with the skills, philosophy and mindset for happy, successful and fulfilling lives. We aim to enable pupils to understand their responsibilities to others and to make a positive contribution to society. Our aim is to offer an education which matches the very best standards internationally.”

Academics

Wellington College is a highly academic school that prides itself on its broad curriculum and excellent teaching staff. The school uses something called the ‘Harkness philosophy’ which encourages students to do their own carefully guided research before participating in group discussions in the classroom. Wellington College follows the GCSE curriculum and then pupils are given the choice to study either for A Levels or for IB exams in Sixth Form. There are 173 full- and part-time teachers, which allows the school to offer a wide range of academic subjects.

Wellington College is one of the highest achieving co-educational schools in the UK, and most pupils go on to leading Higher Education institutions such as Oxford, Cambridge, other Russell Group universities, or other top universities in the UK and the US.

Activities & sports

As well as being awarded an ‘Artsmark Gold’ by the Arts Council for their excellent opportunities across the arts, Wellington College also has a reputation as one of the best sporting schools in the UK. From Third Form onwards, every pupil is involved in the school’s arts programme and each student is encouraged to follow their interests and passions within the arts. Within sport, Wellington College centres on inclusion and participation, and over 98% of pupils take part in sporting activities each week. The school possesses an excellent range of sporting facilities, including 16 rugby and football pitches, 22 tennis courts, indoor and outdoor swimming pools and a nine-hole golf course. The school’s hope is that all pupils enjoy their involvement in sports.

International student community

Wellington College is home to students representing 44 different nations, speaking 25 languages, and currently has 125 pupils from overseas. Generally, between 20-30 international pupils join the school at 13+ and 16+ each year, and Wellington College prides itself on welcoming students from all over the world. It is hoped that international pupils joining Wellington are proficient, if not fluent, in English. However, there is English as an Additional Language (EAL) support available to those who need it.

Boarding life

Of the pupils that join Wellington College, 80% join as boarders, and the other 20% are day students. The College has 17 houses and aims to ensure that each pupil feels completely at home in their boarding house. Each house has a Housemaster or Housemistress who oversees the pastoral care of students, and new students are given a house ‘buddy’ in the year above to welcome them into life at Wellington College.

Have a question?

question mark

You'll probably have many questions about the exciting times that lie ahead. We are here to reassure you and support your decision to educate your child in the UK.

Message us via Live Chat or request a callback and one of our team members will contact you whenever you prefer.

From our blog

Girls-football-at-UK-boarding-schools

Best UK boarding schools for girls’ football

Are you motivated to join a girls’ football team? The England Women’s Football team winning the 2022 Euro championship marks a turning point for women’s
Ellesmere school pupils playing Tennis

The 11 best UK boarding schools for tennis

Were you inspired by Wimbledon? UK boarding schools have an excellent reputation when it comes to sport and tennis is one of the most popular
Royal family at UK boarding schools

Which UK schools did the Royal Family go to?

The Queen and the Royal Family are one of the unique aspects of the United Kingdom. The Queen is celebrating her Platinum Jubilee and we

© 2022 Academic Families | Academic Families is a Safer Recruiter